Today, there are many variants in the game of darts and has come a long way since the late medieval period when arrows were shortened and used as darts for fun. A game of dart is still a source of fun even if the competition is high in professional dart games. For a dart player, the dartboard is as important as his darts. The game requires the player to hit the target (dartboard) from a distance of about 8 feet with arrows (darts).
The modern dart board can be distinguished into twenty radial segments. The players can score from 1 to 20 basic points. The two narrow annular rings are placed at the edge of the board and the middle of the segments. A person hitting the annular ring at the edge will score double the segment value while a hit at the middle annular ring will score three times the basic segment value. The mark at the centre is where the player scores most upon hitting it. A player can score at the most 60 on hitting the dartboard accurately.
Maintaining the Dartboard
Given below are some easy steps that will help you maintain your dartboard and increase its lifeline.
- You can spray a small quantity of water on the dartboard only if you are residing in a dry summery region. Spreading water on the dartboard is completely discouraged in moisture laden areas like coastal regions.
- You should rotate the board after removing the number marker. Turning the dartboard ensures that it lasts longer and does not wear down easily. The 20th section is considered to be the most tear prone area of the dartboard. Do not think this point to be trivial as the process actually enhances the efficiency of the dartboard. The rotation of the dartboard will eventually evenly distribute the weakening of the target and slow down its rate of decline.
- When purchasing a dartboard, it is best to check out all the features and know its limits. This will help you in future to maintain the target. It is unadvisable to use a dartboard meant for two players to be used by large groups. This will cause severe damage to the dartboard then.
- In the modern day, the dart games have shifted indoors and most of the models of the targets manufactured today are not meant for outdoor games. So, you should not practice throwing darts outdoors. Moreover, moisture and sunlight are bad news for the dartboard as they will affect the fibre of the dartboard and make it brittle.
- The dart type also matters a lot when it comes to durability of the target. For instance, a well-rounded dart tip will have less impact on the target. On the other hand, a sharp dart tip will damage the fibre of the board day-by-day. A blunt dart tip also causes sufficient damage.
Another factor that decides durability of the dartboard is how frequently you use it. A dartboard meant for personal use will last longer than the one at the pub.